Combined route: Dip + MA Spatial Planning and Urban Design

East Street_Axo ALL 25.02.16.png

MA SPUD + diploma

If you are a Professional Diploma in Architecture (RIBA II) student at the Cass, you have the unique opportunity to get an MA in Spatial Planning and Urban Design with Cass Cities by taking a special route through your ProfDip and writing a Masters thesis after you have gained your RIBA II qualification.

If you choose the MA Spatial Planning and Urban Design route, you will spend the first year of your two Diploma years in the Cass Cities Unit. Here you will conduct urban research and design an urban scale or strategic architecture project. In the second year of your ProfDip Diploma, you choose any other unit and complete a building-scale project. When you have completed both years of your Professional Diploma, you submit a Masters thesis.

how does it work?

The Professional Diploma is a programme that lasts two years in full time mode and consists of 240 credits. The MA in Spatial Planning and Urban Design is a Masters programme that lasts one full year in full time mode and consists of 180 credits. Because of common elements between the two courses and the University arrangements for credit transfer it is possible to achieve both awards through a total of 340 credits studied.


The workload for the MA Spatial Planning and Urban Design route during your 4th year in the Cass Cities unit is the same as for Diploma students, as shown in the breakdown of modules/credits, below. As shown, the final modules for ProfDip are completed in semester 1 of year three, but the teaching contact time is very little, and you can work full time in this period.



module breakdown

Download this as a pdf

Download this as a pdf


Students who would like to take the combined route leading to the award of the MA Spatial Planning and Urban Design will be charged an additional fee over the standard Diploma fee to cover the 60 credit thesis module. This is one third of the full cost of the Masters programme in the year you are registered for the thesis module. Information about this year's fees is available on the MA Spatial Planning and Urban Design page. If you start in 2017, you will register for pay for the MA component module in 2019.


The funding students receive from the Student Loans Company if for the a Professional Diploma programme only and students may only be registered on one course at a time. This means that you will be registered on (and pay for) the thesis module after your ProfDip is complete, and the MA award will be conferred once the thesis results are confirmed by an assessment board. The MA component is usually self-funded.